As part of mobility week a Welsh Local authority offered car owners a full year’s free use of public transport in return for them giving up their car for scrap.
Some 30 people took up the offer. What I see as significant is the initiative shows us the basis of a very powerful method.
People need a certain level of security. If swapping something gives more security whilst lowering energy intensity you have a winner.
- Free relocation and maybe free accomodation for a while to people with long commutes who move to their area of work.
- Free housing for people who give up their cars.
- Free housing for those who give up their jobs.
- Free training and start-up help for those who give up industrial jobs to start local food production.
- Free market place space for local farmer’s markets in return for employing and or training newcomers to food production.